As several of you already know, my hubby and I have been in Guadalajara, Mexico for the last three weeks visiting family, eating delicious food, going to the beach, checking out the sights, and enjoying long evening walks. We got back on Tuesday night, and I’ve been thinking about how weird it feels to be back in the States again. So, I thought I’d write a blog about it! 🙂
Things I Need to Get Used to Again:
1. Waking up at 5am…I don’t think much explanation is required here…
2. Working…not that I don’t love my job but…
3. Driving…walked, took the bus or taxis everywhere in Mexico. My driving skills have possibly decreased. Watch out Harrisonburg!
4. Throwing toilet paper into the toilet…in Mexico you wipe and toss it into the garbage. Gross but you get used to it after a while. It’s actually one of the things that takes me a while to remember here!
5. Electric stove..yay! No more lighting matches and worrying I might explode the house!
6. Soft, fluffy bed…the bed at my mother-in-law’s was like sleeping on a table. It was a running joke at the house.
7. Alone time…there were always people around and fun things to do, places to go. Sigh…
8. The cold!…it’s freakin’ freezing out here! Seriously…it was hot over there. We had to sleep with no sheets and a fan on…I got a tan…
9. Cooking…I only cooked like 3 times in 3 weeks…We ate out a lot. Tacos!
10. Less couple time with hubby…:-( Every day we spent all our time together…we were only apart a few hours. So sad…now I only see him briefly in the morning and a few hours after work. 😦
11. Drinking water from the tap…mmmm…fresh clean water from the tap. Quick adjustment!
12. Fresh air…I got a sore throat the first few days in Guadalajara from the smog. Nothing like the clean, crisp air of the Shenandoah Valley (minus the poultry plant smell…)
13. Writing…I hardly did any writing while I was there (see #7 – alone time)
14. Not being able to walk to places…I mean, I can but it takes forever! The closest stores (tienditas) are 15 steps away in either direction.
15. Lower quality Mexican food…I miss it already…
16. 24/7 internet access on my Smartphone…I have a feeling I will adjust quickly to this one.
17. Speaking English…my brain has been thinking in Spanish for three weeks…good for my Spanish…not so good for my English…
18. Recognizing people…yesterday we went to Kohl’s and I was like, “I know that person!” Then I remembered, that I see at least 2-3 people I know every time I go out. Not so much in Guadalajara where there’s 10 million people. We did see my new sister-in-law at the mall one day. That was funny!
19. Zumba…yay, though I’m pretty sure the first few classes will be rough. 🙂
20. Saving money…sigh…no more frivolously spending money for us. Estamos pelados! We’re broke!
Well, I’m sure there’s more but this is all that’s coming to my mind at the moment. Now enjoy some pics from my vacation!