First sprinkle a little salt…:-) hehe, just kidding. My zumba teacher, Melissa, is doing a 10-week challenge and this week was to eat a rainbow or to eat a food of a different color every day (M&Ms and Skittles were excluded!). So, Monday was red (homemade marinara sauce), Tuesday – orange (an orange), Wednesday – yellow (delicata squash), Thursday – green (spinach), Friday – blue (blueberries), Saturday – purple (raisins), and Sunday – is all the colors. So, since I was eating such pretty food today, I thought I’d take some pictures! Here’s what I have (or will) eat today!
- Red – Homemade enchiladas with red sauce and red guajillo peppers
As promised, here’s the recipe (remember local ingredients make the best food!):
Enchiladas a la Garcia (makes about 16 enchiladas, or 4-8 servings)
1 lb ground beef
3 garlic cloves
1-2 guajillo chiles
A few pinches of cumin
A few pinches of oregano
Pinch of ground cloves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can enchilada sauce
8 oz Mexican cheese
16 corn tortillas
1. Slice the onions. Put one and a half onion in a skillet on medium heat. Chop up 2 cloves of garlic and add to skillet. Add meat a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Brown the meat. Add the spices.
2. Put 1/2 cup water, the chiles, half an onion, and one clove of garlic in a small saucepan and boil it. Discarding the chile stems, pour the mixture into a blender and blend. Add to meat mixture. Cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
3. Heat up the tortillas so they are soft and can be rolled without breaking. In 1-2 baking dishes, drizzle olive oil into dish.
4. Put a spoonful or so of meat mixture into a tortilla and roll it up, placing it so the rolled part is on the bottom, so it doesn’t open. Use as many tortillas as you need to finish the meat mixture.
5. Drizzle a little more olive oil on top. Drizzle on enchilada sauce and put cheese on top. Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes.
6. Finish with sour cream (I used two week old cream from raw milk, was yummy!) Enjoy!
- Orange – baked sweet potato fries (chop into long pieces, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle sea salt, and bake at 425 F for about 20 minutes)
- Yellow – bananas!
- Green – green beans!
- Blue and purple – greek yogurt with mixed berries
Well, it’s been fun! I hope you’ve enjoyed this colorful little culinary adventure! Also, let me know if you liked my recipes! 🙂